Alibaba Cloud DevOps Cookbook
SSL Certificate Types (DV, OV, EV)
Date Created: June 12, 2018
Last Update: June 18, 2018
What is an SSL certificate? An SSL Certificate binds together:
- A domain name, server name or hostname.
- An organizational identity, such as company name and location.
The depth of details bound to an SSL certificate vary based upon the type of validation performed by the
Certificate Authority (CA) before issuing the SSL certificate.
An SSL Certificate is a set of one or more small data files that digitally bind a cryptographic key to an
organization's details. When installed on a web server, it activates the padlock, the https protocol and
allows secure connections from a web server to a browser. When installed on a service, such as API Gateway,
it secures communications between systems.
Types of SSL Certificates
- DV - Domain Validated - CABF OID 188.8.131.52.2.1
- OV - Organization Validated - CABF OID 184.108.40.206.2.2
- EV - Extended Validated - CABF OID 220.127.116.11.1
- Misc types such as Self Signed, Individual Validated, Test, Code Signing, etc.
SSL ceriticates can also be single domain, mutiple domain, and wildcard for each type. This is really just
a marketing feature as all SSL certificates support one or more domain names including wildcard domain names.
Alibaba Cloud Services that Support SSL Certificates
- Alibaba Cloud Elastic Compute Service (ECS)
- Alibaba Cloud CDN (CDN)
- Alibaba Cloud API Gateway